Sunday, July 6, 2014

First Impression: Aldnoah.Zero

ALDNOAH.ZERO: Let justice be done, though the heavens fall


It’s the start of the new anime season (summer 2014), and I’m back to write my first impressions on titles that seem interesting. First off is Aldnoah.Zero, handled by Ei Aoki (Fate/Zero), Gen Urobuchi (Madoka Magica), and Hiroyuki Sawano (Attack on Titan).

A hypergate has been discovered on the surface of the moon, eventually leading to a portion of humanity to go and settle in Mars. Years pass by and the humans of Earth and Mars grow distant to each other to the point that they see the other as an alien species that needs to be eliminated.

This is one of the reasons why sci-fi has always been interesting for me. It has a way of giving us a perspective of our current / future endeavours as a civilization. Most sci-fi stories are themed to tackle grand-scale issues, instead of embarking upon personal problems. Aldnoah.Zero is no exception.

Considering the big names involved in the project, this anime has some top-of-the-line production value. The art design and animation, particularly in the space and action sequences, are visually appealing. The only thing I don’t particularly like in the design is the characters, for they somewhat look generic.


The music is also well-timed. It’s the kind that doesn’t rely on constant embedding in the scenes to make the sequences interesting. It knows when to settle and when to shine, and when it does, it delivers -- as expected of Hiroyuki Sawano who brought us the exhilarating tracks of Attack on Titan.

The first half of the episode is heavy on exposition. Even though this is the case, I would consider the quality to be above average. It gives us a glimpse of the history of an intricate universe, clues on interweaving plot lines, character depth, and it serves as a set-up to the explosive second half.

The second half is what really carries the episode to a different level. It is the peak of the exposition and serves as the trigger. It immediately introduces us to the major conflict of Aldnoah.Zero in a way that would make you crave for the next episode.

            What makes it so successful is the execution. The set-up has been effective to make the viewers care. The pace goes from moderate to a rollercoaster ride, creating a sense of immediateness for the characters to act. Add in the fluid animation, visually appealing design, and perfectly-timed music in the mix, and you clearly get a pilot episode that is sure to make viewers subscribe to your show, at least for a few more episodes. Highly recommended.

Addtional Note: Even if the quality in the next episodes would fluctuate, I would definitely see the whole of Aldnoah.Zero, just because the names involved in the anime are some of my favourite talents.

After all those explosions, this is actually an interesting way to end the episode


4 comments:

  1. Ei Aoki, Gen Urobuchi, and Hiroyuki Sawano, well I have just found the next anime I am watching this season, haha. Thanks for the first impression for Aldnoah.Zero. Somehow I have barely even heard of this series, but I will definitely watch it either today or tomorrow, and I will return with my thoughts on it.

    -James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't heard of Aldnoah Zero too. I was simply searching for stuff to watch this season and I was surprised to see that this one has some interesting names involved, so I gave it a shot. I'm interested on what you think about it. The show is not perfect after all.

      Delete
  2. I watched the first episode, and I agree with you. This was an interesting start with some great ideas behind it. Judging an anime series on its first episode is difficult due to the limited time, but it managed to pack in enough exposition to make me intrigued to see what happens next. After reading others are saying and looking over the series this summer, I think this is going to be the anime to beat in terms of quality. Also, I am actually going to watch a few series this season. A couple series that I want to watch have yet to air, but so far, so good.

    -James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't really decided which ones to subscribe to, but I'm eyeing on certain titles already. This is actually a pretty interesting season, but I don't see a wow factor as of now.

      Delete