Saturday, May 10, 2014

Anime Review: Madoka Magica: Rebellion

MADOKA MAGICA: REBELLION: An amazing idea for a sequel, but something is wrong


            Madoka Magica: Rebellion is the direct continuation of the events in the original Madoka Magica series. It follows the perspective of Homura Akemi, as she and the other mahou shoujo reappear in Mitakihara city to fight the new creatures born from people’s negative emotions.

            What I really like about this anime sequel is that it doesn’t exist just to be a cash cow from the Madoka Magica franchise. It’s a legitimate sequel. That’s really impressive, considering that the ending of the original series is already conclusive and hard to continue. I have to give it to the creators for coming up with interesting ideas to stretch the story.

            But Rebellion has some problems, particularly in how these ideas are executed. The opening sequences are almost direct copies from the original series. I understand that they are used as exposition materials to support the new plot points and plot elements being introduced to the series, but I think they are too stretched-out and too similar from the original to really make an impact.

            Another manifestation of how these ideas are poorly executed is the imbalance in explanation. Some plot points are overly explained, while some are explained in a matter-of-fact way that make them boring, and, sometimes, hard to follow.

            The best thing about these ideas is how they make Madoka Magica even more surreal. The dreamlike foregrounds and backgrounds, which are fairly featured in the original series, are consistently featured in Rebellion. The whole runtime of the anime is just very bizarre and colourful. And since this is the case, the animation and the art design in general are highlighted.


            As for the characterization, I have mixed feelings. The good thing about it is how every mahou shoujo has some fair screen time. Each has also been featured using their improved magical powers. Even in the original series, I find their abilities interesting, so I’m happy that Rebellion gives more focus in this department. The animation and the art design have greatly benefited here too.

            The bad thing about the characterization is how some of the mahou shoujo act a bit out of character. Some actions and reactions are obviously just there to move the plot to the desired direction of the creators.

            Another good thing about Rebellion is the music. Yuki Kajiura never fails to impress me with her soundtracks for Madoka Magica. They appear very magical, but they have a sense of mystery and despair behind the positive cloaking. I also like how she utilized familiar melodies from the soundtracks of the original series and added a spin to them that would make them fitting for Rebellion.

            Overall, Madoka Magica: Rebellion is a great watch. The art is ridiculously good, and this is accompanied by Yuki Kajiura’s music and Gen Urobuchi’s writing. Again, let me say that I’m really impressed with the ideas presented in this sequel. My only gripe is their imperfect execution.

Recommended for fans of Madoka Magica and Neon Genesis Evangelion.

            Related posts:
            Anime Review: Madoka Magica


6 comments:

  1. Glad to hear that this is at least a great watch. I have heard some mixed opinions about the movie. I definitely want give it a watch some point since the series is one of my favorites. Great review, you have convinced that the movie is worth watching.

    -James

    -James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The mixed opinions are understandable. Rebellion definitely has some good points and bad points, but overall I think it's good. How Gen Urobuchi continued the story of the original series is rather impressive, but how it has been executed is the main problem. I think that's one of the main reasons why Rebellion is receiving contradicting opinions among fans.

      Delete
  2. Yeah, I like the original TV series a fair bit, just haven't gotten to the movies myself. From what you stated in this review, along with a bunch of other peeps, the visual direction certainly sounds a lot more flamboyant and engaging than the TV series.

    About the characterization, that's definitely a huge problem I heard many had with the movies. I dunno though, better see the movies first myself before making any more judgement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the whole movie looks like a witch labyrinth, so the art definitely benefited from there. It's one of the most visually appealing thing I've seen in a while.

      The characterization is indeed a problem. It feels different compared to the original series. In a way, this has reduced the emotional value of Rebellion.

      Delete
  3. Rebellion reminded me of End of Evangelion, yet unlike Eva, Madoka had one of the better conclusions of an anime, to me at least. While I still think that Madoka ended well with absolutely no reason to continue the story, Rebellion definitely had some great moments, and I have the exact issues with it that you had. Some parts are explained more than necessary, while others just happen without any explanation as to how or why. That being said, the production value in the music and art absurd. Studio Shaft was really top notch. Also, I did like seeing the story focus on Homura, since she is my favorite character.

    -James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to agree that Madoka has one of the better conclusions for a series, but it's still impressive that the creators have thought of a way to continue the story with a legitimate plot line. And yes, the problem is more on the execution. I love the music and art too! And *spoiler* giving the focus to Homura is necessary, since the story seems to be going for the God vs Devil kind of thing, which is actually an interesting take on the franchise. *end spoiler* Let's just see what happens, if it is for better or worse. But whatever it is, I'll support it because Madoka Magica is one of my favorite franchises.

      Delete